Skip to main content

and away we go...

We are down to the 30 minute mark before the car that will take us to the airport picks us up. My life has been condensed into two 60 lb. bags and two carry-ons. I know I should feel anxious right now, but I really just feel exhausted. The last two weeks have been a flurry of movement. We moved out of our first home to move to another country. We've moved from one good-bye to another. I moved from an iPhone to a phone that would make a 2007 Blackberry look high tech.

And so far I haven't cried (except when dropping off the cats). I've held it together because I know as soon as I realize the enormity which is about to happen I'm going to lose it in a very profound way. I'm relieved that by the point this hits me, we'll be on a plane and I'll hopefully have taken something to help me sleep on the way to Frankfurt.

I wanted to write something profound as a "here we go" post, but I've been putting this off and suddenly I've run out of time to be profound. So I'll close with a thought that is semi-thought through. Music keeps catching me off guard. As I've been driving around and around Houston this past week songs will suddenly come on the iPod and I'll tear up. Recently, driving to Katy "Being Alive" from Sondheim's Company started playing. In the rabble of voices talking to the main character, who will then sing a song about how loving someone and being loved is what makes us feel alive, one voice says, "Don't be afraid it won't be perfect, be afraid that it won't be."

That's where I am right now. I honestly have no idea what this is all going to look like on the other side of the Atlantic. I'm terrified that this will be a huge mistake, but I'm even more terrified of what will happen if we don't try this adventure. I'm not enough of an idealist to think that it will be perfect, but I'm hopeful it will be good and even great.

So thank you to everyone who has shared in my adventure and Jack's adventure and our adventure so far. I never dreamt ten years ago when I started at Rice that this is where I'd be and this is where we would be going. I'm incredibly blessed to have so many people walk with me and I'm going to miss you all more than I think I even realize right now. I love you all.

I'll update this when I can get a solid internet connection in Aberdeen. The plan is to hybridize the blog a bit to be a mix of my thirty by thirty list and what we're doing in overseas.

Until then!

Comments

  1. Thinking of you guys as you travel across the pond. Hope it's a smooth transition. Look forward to reading updates on this amazing adventure!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Syllabus for the Next 18 Months

I decided at some point in the last week that I wanted to make a checklist of 30 things to do before I turned 30. Creating a list of 30 things is harder than I imagined it would be. But, to quote Julie Andrews (which I suppose is actually quoting Rodgers & Hammerstein), "let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." There's nothing magical about turning thirty. I imagine that on July 2, 2015, when I wake up, my eyes will still be blue, my fingers will still number ten, my instant desire will be to go back to sleep. That said, it is one of those watershed points in life. The idea of approaching thirty is both reassuring and daunting. At least I'm theoretically past the point of having a quarter-life crisis. What I want to do is be able to look back at my 20s and tell my future kids about all the adventures their parents had before they were thirty. Creating this list isn't going to create those adventures. We've already had s...

the socially-acceptable salad

I didn't realize this when I was younger. I blame my friends from high school and college for not being people that perpetuated the social custom of women eating salads in public. We gorged on pizza or mexican food or some other delicious but less than healthy foods. It was glorious.  It was also terrible. It set me up to not fully exist in a society that expects (not an outright expectation, more like a clique that defines social norms) where I'm the odd duck out if I don't order a salad. I noticed this tonight at a board meeting at a restaurant. All of the women in attendance ordered salad. Would something have spontaneously erupted had someone ordered a sandwich instead? Doubt it, but by the third or fourth person had sat down with a salad a pattern had been established. Now I legitimately wanted a salad- I think. What I really wanted pizza or a hamburger. But I was coming from the gym and I felt like I would be doing a disservice to my aching bones and digestive sys...

an american girl

I blame Tom Petty for finally feeling overwhelmingly homesick. In reality I should blame my subconscious, but I live with that constantly and the likelihood that I’ll ever meet Tom Petty is low. The last three days have been a whirl of frenetic energy. We arrived after almost 15 hours of travel (Luftansa is amazing by the way) and Chris, Sarah, and Kelli greeted us, helped us get our things inside, and then wisely put us on a bus to go get lunch and bed linens. I don’t remember much from our first day here. I’m surprised that I can recall how to get to the grocery store because of how little sleep I had gotten in the last 24 hours. But we stayed up until 9 pm and I fell into a fitful first night’s sleep. The next day was clearer. I discovered that I had bought too large of bread for our toaster, but had toast nonetheless. Sarah led us downtown so that we could open up a Scottish Bank account (true story- the bank computing system doesn’t do suffixes so adding the III after Jac...