Skip to main content

Roots

Over Easter I purchased two self-starter herb kits. I'm not entirely sure what possessed me to do it. Possibly it was the discovery of how delicious fresh herbs are thanks to our Hello Fresh boxes (confession- I never actually used herbs before, so probably any seasoning would have shocked me into doing something different with my cooking). Possibly it was the faint blooms of spring punctuating the Aberdeen landscape inspired me to try and grow something. More than likely it just seemed like a cheap and fun project to undertake.

Whatever the reason, I've been trying to raise a parsley and basil plant for about a month now. I've learned that I am not good at raising plants, the rose plant I had at Pope John is the major exception. My plants were sufficiently dead until Jack stepped in and took over watering them. Turns out that herbs need a lot more water than I had expected. My little, sad plants are now quite full and about to outgrow the planters they came in.

Which is leading me to a problem- transplanting them into bigger, more permanent homes. I know it's only a matter of time before they need to be in a place where their roots can grow more deeply, but I'm scared of trying to transplant them. I'm worried about damaging the roots that have already started- of the physical disruption of the move.

As I was contemplating the immanent move of my herbs, I started thinking about their eventual need to move homes as well. We are just about at the two month mark of our return to Houston. My herbs can't travel with me across the Atlantic. They'll have to move to a new home as well.

And in the midst of my fears of disrupting these fragile leaves, I realized how many of my own fears about moving I was imposing on them (I blame Pixar for my overburdened conscience when it comes to imposing human emotions on non-animals).

Over the past 12 years, I've moved multiple times. Not as many times as other people I know- and honestly, while the physical act of packing and moving isn't exactly "fun," these past few moves have cemented how much I dislike the process for emotional reasons. Which is particularly odd given that I've largely been the impetus for these moves. I've loved the places I've moved to and the reasons I've moved. There has been a sense of call to both Waco and Aberdeen. I wouldn't trade these experiences and I don't regret either. But my sense of adventure is growing into a desire for home as I've gotten older.

These final months that we're in Aberdeen, however, have made me the most acutely aware of the profound sadness there is in moving, even moving home. Like my plants, we've just started planting roots here. Will those roots and relationships be strong enough to withstand the incredible distance that is about to test them?

Are the roots we left in Houston strong enough for us to grow back into?

In the past two years, Jack and I have come home a few times and those trips have been wonderful. We've spent time with our family and friends. But those trips have been so short. It's easy to stay connected when you're in a flurry of lunch and dinner dates. In that time I've realized, though, how much has changed within those groups. New people have come and old people have gone. It's easy to see how we still connect to individuals, but will we still find our place in those groups?

I'm scared of leaving these fragile, new roots and returning to find that the old roots have died. I'm not particularly worried about replanting ourselves in our family systems. Blood is, as cliche as this is, thicker than water. I know how excited they are to have us back and how excited we are to be back near them. Family isn't particularly bound by location. And I'm not worried that we're going to pop back into Houston and suddenly be friendless- I don't believe that the roots we planted were shallow enough to leave us without a social network. I'm just in a place of transplantation. It's almost time to pull up these roots for something more permanent, I just wish I knew with more certainty where we'll fit in the garden.

At the same time, I'm really excited about coming home. The last two months are a weird period between being super excited about the next chapter and feeling the current one closing. I've loved the current chapter of our life- living in a new country, traveling, the people we've become friends with, haggis... and I'm ready to be home. It's an emotional rollercoaster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claire tries cooking! Pineapple Chicken Quesadilla and Figgy Balsamic

We are the typical American family when it comes to food habits. In that, we eat a rotation of approximately the same 5 meals: - Chicken Tacos - BBQ Chicken - Sauteed Salmon - Spaghetti - "Meatloaf" Pies Every once in a blue moon, I'll add something "fun" to the mix: - Stir Fry - Pretzel Chicken - More different fish - Roast Chicken Fun meals ceased to exist once baby boy showed up, but now that he's able to sit in a high chair AND has a bit of a schedule during the day, cooking is incrementally becoming an easier task. Last night I found a slow cooker magazine (yay Better Homes and Gardens!) and realized that I'm bored with the same 5-6 meals. Trying to find new permutations of said meals is also a task I don't completely enjoy. Only Tuesdays should signal a specific food (e.g. Taco Tuesdays). So here goes a novel experiment - I'm going to try and cook something "new" once a week. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of

Book Review: Inspired by Rachel Held Evans

I was anxiously awaiting the email that arrived. The day before, via facebook, a notification had been posted to fill out a form, hit submit, and cross your fingers to receive an advanced copy of Rachel Held Evans' new book,  Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again, and being a part of the book launch team. The email arrived, as did the golden ticket (aka the PDF of the advanced copy). To put this in perspective, I have been an RHE fangirl since 2012 when I first read A Year of Biblical Womanhood.  I was just out of seminary, recently married, and trying to figure out life. The humor in her writing amidst her earnest questions about what the Bible calls women to be versus what a conservative, evangelical society told women. I loved it. On top of that, my church had RHE come in 2014 and I was able to meet her (and be her chauffeur) and she was just as gracious and funny as her voice in her writing posited her to be. I never had the same affi

The Syllabus for the Next 18 Months

I decided at some point in the last week that I wanted to make a checklist of 30 things to do before I turned 30. Creating a list of 30 things is harder than I imagined it would be. But, to quote Julie Andrews (which I suppose is actually quoting Rodgers & Hammerstein), "let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." There's nothing magical about turning thirty. I imagine that on July 2, 2015, when I wake up, my eyes will still be blue, my fingers will still number ten, my instant desire will be to go back to sleep. That said, it is one of those watershed points in life. The idea of approaching thirty is both reassuring and daunting. At least I'm theoretically past the point of having a quarter-life crisis. What I want to do is be able to look back at my 20s and tell my future kids about all the adventures their parents had before they were thirty. Creating this list isn't going to create those adventures. We've already had s