Skip to main content

"I do not think that word means what you think it means"//What is Trust?


I've been thinking what it means to trust since I went to bed last night. I blame my dear friend (and fantastic writer Seth) for posting an adorable picture of his son and our pastor Steve yesterday. Seth wrote that it was an important moment in their family's life because it was the first time Steve asked his son to trust him. I've been mulling it over precisely because of the weightiness that Seth attached to this question. What does it mean to trust? (And I strongly suggest that it isn't hoping that your fellow youth or co-workers are going to catch you if you fall backwards into their arms...)

This past month has seemed like an adventure in living in a perpetual trust that things will get to an equilibrium. Jack and I have said "trust me [....]" more times than I can count. We, as a society, use this phrase so flippantly at times, to reassure those around us, that I'm not positive that casually asking someone to "trust" involves any movement to trust that individual. Simply, we've lost the thrust behind the word.

I don't pretend to understand developmental psychology or human development so this is mostly conjecture based on experience- but trusting is easier as a child. We don't know what the word necessarily implies, but we're more able to believe that whatever the person asking us to trust them about has our best interest in heart. Riding a bike without the training wheels for the first time was a terrifying experience and even more so when my dad let go, but I trusted him when he said that I wouldn't fall. We believe more easily as children because we haven't had the life experiences yet that close us off from the possible. I'd wager a bet that the majority of people reading this had relatively stable and happy childhoods. At 4, the same as of Seth's son, we hadn't experienced enough emotional pain to disarm our ready ability to trust in those around us. And we weren't jaded enough to not trust those that our families said to trust.

Yet all of that eventually changes. We are hurt by life in great and small ways. Those who we think won't hurt us eventually do, because part of all of our stories is being hurt and hurting others- intentional or not. We close ourselves off to all, save a precious few, of trusting them because genuine trust requires a vulnerability that most of us aren't comfortable resting in for long. The common use of "trust" stands as nothing more than an endorsement for a promise or stated action. I ask people to trust me, but, with the exception of a close number of people, I don't expect the people I'm asking to trust to have any renewed sort of relationship to me.

Genuine trust isn't something we can get to through reason or experience. The kind of trust I think Seth refers to is a type of performative language. By saying I trust you, I actually trust you. Your words and my words are bringing something into existence. In his lectures on Christology, Bonhoeffer posits that one of the reasons we can't adequately describe Christ is that Christ is an event. We can try to make him into a concept or historical reality, but our limited ways of understanding prevent us from fully understanding the complexity of what the God-human pro me really is. Christ isn't a metaphysical concept that can be reasoned to. Christ isn't a historical reality that we can read about and believe in. Christ can only be understood once faith enters the picture.

I'd venture that real trust has to be grappled in the same manner. We can't reason our way to trusting someone, and this isn't to say that we throw reason out and pretend we're blank canvases. Eventually though, trust requires a suspension of certainty on our part and a belief in the sincerity of the other. We choose to trust those that we can be vulnerable with. The significance of marriage and baptismal vows are public declarations of this act.

And that's the weightiness of it. The sincerity in the act of asking someone if we genuinely trust them and the vulnerability in actually trusting them is uncomfortable because it's a leap of faith. I wonder in part if that's why it's so overwhelming to get baptized at South Main. Bonhoeffer says that we find Christ present in the sermon, the sacraments, and the church community. By the point that baptism happens, we've presumably experienced Christ in the sermon and partly in community. We profess our faith and trust, but sequentially we've already done that to get to this point. The overwhelming part is when the congregation is asked to stand witness to this proclamation and invites the baptizee to see Christ working in them and through them as community. In what I hope is a type of transference- by trusting in Christ and seeing Christ in that community, we are overwhelmed by the sincerity of the congregation asking us to trust in them. To genuinely trust in them. It's no wonder that so many people tear up in the process- it's emotional when you choose to trust one person, even more emotional to confess a trust in Christ, and overwhelmingly emotional when a large group of people ask you to see Christ working in them and through them and to then extend your trust to them. I'm glad we do it this way at South Main. I think this might be what Bonhoeffer had in mind (despite being Lutheran and not having adult baptism...)

I hope this makes some sense. I'm only half-way through my coffee and admittedly my musings on a Saturday morning are roughly half-formed. Excitement that I may be synthesizing my seminars into something coherent prompted, in part, this post. Thoughts? I'd love to hear what trust means to someone else. The realization of language and the action language precipitates is beginning to fascinate me more and more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claire tries cooking! Pineapple Chicken Quesadilla and Figgy Balsamic

We are the typical American family when it comes to food habits. In that, we eat a rotation of approximately the same 5 meals: - Chicken Tacos - BBQ Chicken - Sauteed Salmon - Spaghetti - "Meatloaf" Pies Every once in a blue moon, I'll add something "fun" to the mix: - Stir Fry - Pretzel Chicken - More different fish - Roast Chicken Fun meals ceased to exist once baby boy showed up, but now that he's able to sit in a high chair AND has a bit of a schedule during the day, cooking is incrementally becoming an easier task. Last night I found a slow cooker magazine (yay Better Homes and Gardens!) and realized that I'm bored with the same 5-6 meals. Trying to find new permutations of said meals is also a task I don't completely enjoy. Only Tuesdays should signal a specific food (e.g. Taco Tuesdays). So here goes a novel experiment - I'm going to try and cook something "new" once a week. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of

Book Review: Inspired by Rachel Held Evans

I was anxiously awaiting the email that arrived. The day before, via facebook, a notification had been posted to fill out a form, hit submit, and cross your fingers to receive an advanced copy of Rachel Held Evans' new book,  Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again, and being a part of the book launch team. The email arrived, as did the golden ticket (aka the PDF of the advanced copy). To put this in perspective, I have been an RHE fangirl since 2012 when I first read A Year of Biblical Womanhood.  I was just out of seminary, recently married, and trying to figure out life. The humor in her writing amidst her earnest questions about what the Bible calls women to be versus what a conservative, evangelical society told women. I loved it. On top of that, my church had RHE come in 2014 and I was able to meet her (and be her chauffeur) and she was just as gracious and funny as her voice in her writing posited her to be. I never had the same affi

The Syllabus for the Next 18 Months

I decided at some point in the last week that I wanted to make a checklist of 30 things to do before I turned 30. Creating a list of 30 things is harder than I imagined it would be. But, to quote Julie Andrews (which I suppose is actually quoting Rodgers & Hammerstein), "let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." There's nothing magical about turning thirty. I imagine that on July 2, 2015, when I wake up, my eyes will still be blue, my fingers will still number ten, my instant desire will be to go back to sleep. That said, it is one of those watershed points in life. The idea of approaching thirty is both reassuring and daunting. At least I'm theoretically past the point of having a quarter-life crisis. What I want to do is be able to look back at my 20s and tell my future kids about all the adventures their parents had before they were thirty. Creating this list isn't going to create those adventures. We've already had s