Skip to main content

breathe

There are several things that our trainer, Justin, tells us all the time. There are two things in particular that I've noticed he tells me. The first is to overarch my back and keep my shoulder blades together. This is because I have poor posture and slouching is a good way to get injured. The other thing is to remember to breathe.

I forget to breathe sometimes.

Not in everyday situations. As I sit and type I'm not overly concerned that I'm going to suddenly stop breathing. I suppose I could stop- but it's not a big concern. I forget to breathe when I'm exerting myself. I forget to breathe when I'm worried at times.

Today Elizabeth and I were swimming laps. This is in an attempt to compete in a super sprint triathlon this May. I have terrible form. After 45 minutes I wasn't much better. A considerable problem is that I won't put my face underwater. I tried. I forget to breathe. Inhale water, exhale panic. Inhale more panic. Arms splashing everywhere.

The first thing you do is take a breathe. The last thing we talk about people doing is "breathing their last breathe." In Genesis, God breathes life. Yet, I don't always have this mastered.

Maybe it's all psychological. I don't like not being in control of myself. At times I think I want to be hold on so tightly to being control that I forget the most basic function of living. I push and pull and inhaled but don't exhale. But I have learned that I can be mindful of this. Yoga has been amazing because it is so focused on breathing. We don't move from one pose to another without noting the breath we are on in a pose. I balance. I stretch. I breathe. That hour is one of the few times a week that my mind is quiet. It's also one of the only times during the week that I'm aware of myself.

Aware that I need to breathe.

Weekly Goal Update

I took pictures, but none of them are very good. I might get some more at church or at life tomorrow and post them later. On Monday I attempted to quilt while watching the Bachelor (JP is a super tool, btw) with Mel but lost my needle. Today I acquired new needles and some yarn for the scarves. Woo crafts!

Today began training for the super sprint, which is going to be brutal y'all. Brutal.

Unofficially, Jack and I had three dates nights in the last week- Lego Movie (go if you haven't, it's hilarious and cute), Rice v. UT baseball game, and a wonderful dinner at Seasons 52 and watching Election tonight. Our schedules are ridiculous at the moment so it's nice to have had some time together.

Wednesday starts Lent and I'm giving up reality television. Everyone I've told this to have given me a face which says, "are you serious?" I'm getting in my last fix this weekend.

Today I also removed most of the foods with processed sugar from our kitchen. I have a new shopping list with a bunch of high protein, low carb foods to restock tomorrow. Woo protein!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claire tries cooking! Pineapple Chicken Quesadilla and Figgy Balsamic

We are the typical American family when it comes to food habits. In that, we eat a rotation of approximately the same 5 meals: - Chicken Tacos - BBQ Chicken - Sauteed Salmon - Spaghetti - "Meatloaf" Pies Every once in a blue moon, I'll add something "fun" to the mix: - Stir Fry - Pretzel Chicken - More different fish - Roast Chicken Fun meals ceased to exist once baby boy showed up, but now that he's able to sit in a high chair AND has a bit of a schedule during the day, cooking is incrementally becoming an easier task. Last night I found a slow cooker magazine (yay Better Homes and Gardens!) and realized that I'm bored with the same 5-6 meals. Trying to find new permutations of said meals is also a task I don't completely enjoy. Only Tuesdays should signal a specific food (e.g. Taco Tuesdays). So here goes a novel experiment - I'm going to try and cook something "new" once a week. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of

Book Review: Inspired by Rachel Held Evans

I was anxiously awaiting the email that arrived. The day before, via facebook, a notification had been posted to fill out a form, hit submit, and cross your fingers to receive an advanced copy of Rachel Held Evans' new book,  Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again, and being a part of the book launch team. The email arrived, as did the golden ticket (aka the PDF of the advanced copy). To put this in perspective, I have been an RHE fangirl since 2012 when I first read A Year of Biblical Womanhood.  I was just out of seminary, recently married, and trying to figure out life. The humor in her writing amidst her earnest questions about what the Bible calls women to be versus what a conservative, evangelical society told women. I loved it. On top of that, my church had RHE come in 2014 and I was able to meet her (and be her chauffeur) and she was just as gracious and funny as her voice in her writing posited her to be. I never had the same affi

The Syllabus for the Next 18 Months

I decided at some point in the last week that I wanted to make a checklist of 30 things to do before I turned 30. Creating a list of 30 things is harder than I imagined it would be. But, to quote Julie Andrews (which I suppose is actually quoting Rodgers & Hammerstein), "let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." There's nothing magical about turning thirty. I imagine that on July 2, 2015, when I wake up, my eyes will still be blue, my fingers will still number ten, my instant desire will be to go back to sleep. That said, it is one of those watershed points in life. The idea of approaching thirty is both reassuring and daunting. At least I'm theoretically past the point of having a quarter-life crisis. What I want to do is be able to look back at my 20s and tell my future kids about all the adventures their parents had before they were thirty. Creating this list isn't going to create those adventures. We've already had s