Skip to main content

you're here

It's been an exciting week. It's been an even more exciting weekend because it's the first weekend that I don't have an event scheduled (well at least for the last month). I also have Monday off for President's Day and it is gloriously unscheduled for the most part.

Last night Jack and I went to Rice to see "Star Geeks" as our Valentine's Day date. The musical was written and directed by from Sid students. Going to see it meant that we didn't have to deal with the crowds that Valentine's Day + Friday was bound to yield. It also meant we were being good Sid Associates. The musical pretty much embodied my freshman year at Rice, and in particular the MOB- hard to understand, slightly off-key, and lots of sci-fi/fantasy references I didn't understand. 

It made me super nostalgic though. I get nostalgic a lot though, ask my husband.

Wednesday night I went to the gym and ran 4 miles at a pace that is definitely higher than my natural pace. I also turn bright red when I'm running so I look like I've done a lot more than I have when I'm finished. Back in the locker room another woman entered, looked at me, put her head against a locker, and said "today was not a good day to work out." My response: "yeah, but you're here and that's what counts." Who have I become? When did I start having that response to working out?

That's leading me to my nostalgia. Outside of my home I spend the majority of my time at work (in a school), at church, or at the gym. This week I realized that in all of those places, being "there" is the major hurdle. And that no matter how much you suck at being there, you're bound to get better by virtue of being there.

School? Of course being actively engaged in learning is the most direct way to learn. And of course people learn by their own means, but being in an environment that fosters learning has to make you pick up something, right?

Church? I don't understand everything about God. I won't pretend that I even understand a significant amount. I'm bad at praying. I'm bad at finding quiet time for bible study and not getting distracted. But you know what, consistently being in a place with a bunch of other people who are in the same spot means that I'm growing. Growing alongside people who have become family. Getting there is half the struggle, but I find it quite impossible to not grow at least some when I'm there. 

Gym? I think this has become the most evident for me. I ran 8.25 miles today (only 0.75 miles short of where I should be in the half-marathos training). In June I could barely run one mile. Earlier this year the Oatmeal wrote a comic about why running is awesome. I agree to most of his points. But here's the thing I have learned to love most about running- no matter what I do, I get better. Even if I only run ten minutes, I get better. 

Running and I have had a checkered past. In ninth grade, my PE teacher timed us running 1.5 miles. It was a test grade. I made a C- on it. Not because I didn't finish the 1.5 miles, but because I didn't finish in the time she thought we should- not that we had been doing a running unit or anything to improve our running times, she arbitrarily decided one week that this was happening. According to her we should have been able to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. It took me 21 minutes. I hated running. I hated it because I wasn't good enough at it.

But I ran 8.25 miles today.

I ran 8.25 miles at a slow pace, with an ugly stance. But I finished. Even today I can't run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. Do you know what pace that is? 6 mph. My best pace right now is an even 5.3 mph and that's only after 6 months. But I show up. I run. I get better. Every step is getting better. I show up for yoga and get better (this week's smaller than usual and non-new people class meant that we "flipped" our downward dog, and did this series of awesomeness).




It's about being there. I'm here.

Be where you are. Don't miss out on something because you aren't where you are. 

The power for creating a better future is contained in the present moment: You create a good future by creating a good present. - Eckhart Tolle


The power for creating a better future is contained in the present moment: You crIt may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.  - C.S. Lewis


Pictures from this week:

You're here! Johana surprised Elizabeth with a visit from Prague and I got some beautiful pictures from the roof of our condo building at sunset on the first sunny day in the last 2 weeks.












Attempt at learning to cook, volume 1- Balsamic Vinegar and Sugar Free Maple Sugar glazed salmon.




Happy Valentine's Day! Jack made me a low-calorie Edible Arrangement and sent me tulips, because he's an amazing husband like that.





Jack's D&D bag also holds cats.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claire tries cooking! Pineapple Chicken Quesadilla and Figgy Balsamic

We are the typical American family when it comes to food habits. In that, we eat a rotation of approximately the same 5 meals: - Chicken Tacos - BBQ Chicken - Sauteed Salmon - Spaghetti - "Meatloaf" Pies Every once in a blue moon, I'll add something "fun" to the mix: - Stir Fry - Pretzel Chicken - More different fish - Roast Chicken Fun meals ceased to exist once baby boy showed up, but now that he's able to sit in a high chair AND has a bit of a schedule during the day, cooking is incrementally becoming an easier task. Last night I found a slow cooker magazine (yay Better Homes and Gardens!) and realized that I'm bored with the same 5-6 meals. Trying to find new permutations of said meals is also a task I don't completely enjoy. Only Tuesdays should signal a specific food (e.g. Taco Tuesdays). So here goes a novel experiment - I'm going to try and cook something "new" once a week. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of

Book Review: Inspired by Rachel Held Evans

I was anxiously awaiting the email that arrived. The day before, via facebook, a notification had been posted to fill out a form, hit submit, and cross your fingers to receive an advanced copy of Rachel Held Evans' new book,  Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again, and being a part of the book launch team. The email arrived, as did the golden ticket (aka the PDF of the advanced copy). To put this in perspective, I have been an RHE fangirl since 2012 when I first read A Year of Biblical Womanhood.  I was just out of seminary, recently married, and trying to figure out life. The humor in her writing amidst her earnest questions about what the Bible calls women to be versus what a conservative, evangelical society told women. I loved it. On top of that, my church had RHE come in 2014 and I was able to meet her (and be her chauffeur) and she was just as gracious and funny as her voice in her writing posited her to be. I never had the same affi

The Syllabus for the Next 18 Months

I decided at some point in the last week that I wanted to make a checklist of 30 things to do before I turned 30. Creating a list of 30 things is harder than I imagined it would be. But, to quote Julie Andrews (which I suppose is actually quoting Rodgers & Hammerstein), "let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start." There's nothing magical about turning thirty. I imagine that on July 2, 2015, when I wake up, my eyes will still be blue, my fingers will still number ten, my instant desire will be to go back to sleep. That said, it is one of those watershed points in life. The idea of approaching thirty is both reassuring and daunting. At least I'm theoretically past the point of having a quarter-life crisis. What I want to do is be able to look back at my 20s and tell my future kids about all the adventures their parents had before they were thirty. Creating this list isn't going to create those adventures. We've already had s